Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Submission Wait Game

Three weeks ago today, I was notified that a publisher would like to see the manuscript for one of my books.  I have to say I was (and still am) shocked and excited.  I mean, I never imagined I'd even catch anyone's eye, much less receive a "sure we'll look at it" type of response.  It was an open call for submissions and I jumped on it, scared sh*tless.  But, what the heck, why not, right?

Anyway, it's an interesting scenario to me.  I've studied enough writing courses and material to know that getting a publisher to even notice you is tough as hell.  That's nothing new.  And, with the increase in digital publishing (self-pubbing) lately, many authors are taking matters in to their own hands and getting their material out there without the wait...or the rejection. I actually have five books self-published now and am still writing out more.  But, this one book is in limbo.  Now, I now... three weeks is NOT a long wait at all.  And, at the same time, if you have EVER had to wait for anything...like, a traffic light, microwave popcorn, checkout at the food store...you have got to know this can be so emotional.

Moving on, I know that if they say "No thanks", I will be okay with that and just do a quick edit check and then self-pub.  If they give any feedback with the rejection, of course, I will consider that as well.  If they say "Yes, please" then I will be over the moon and undoubtedly still have editing changes to make.  Unlike many authors, I am not too wound up about the verdict...it's my first time and all...but the being in limbo thing drives me batty.  I love that I have choices though.  That's my biggest relief. That rejection will sting for a bit, but I can move beyond that quickly and strike out (again) on my own.

Are you a writer?  Do you know the submission wait game?   If so, what are your thoughts, feelings, experiences?  I'd really love to hear from you.  Just comment below and share with me.  <3

Thanks for dropping by my friend and 'listening' to me vent a wee bit.

~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment