Saturday, April 13, 2013

New Friends

I haven't been an official author for very long now, just a little over a year.  However, I have been an avid reader since I was old enough to read.  My mom once told me that I struggled to learn to read as a child and I thought she was out of her mind.  But, then she explained my Dad took a lot of time with me and helped me.  Which, is probably why at a very young age (around five or six) I became a book worm.  I even met my lifelong BFF at the library.  I would walk down to the library on a regular basis and borrow as many books as they'd allow.  Then, a few days later, I'd return them and do it again.  Anyway, I love to read because it allows me to learn more, and allows me to go to places I'd never imagine on my own.

There are two things that I absolutely LOVE about being a writer.  First, it is a wonderful form of expression.  I can share things with others that interest me, in the hopes it will interest them as well.  I can share my experiences and give advice if I'd like.  Even in fiction, you share a piece of yourself with your readers and it is liberating.  You are also free to create and explore new worlds, new species, new relationships...all without leaving your writing space.

The other thing is that it opens the door for me to meet so many wonderful people, with common interests.  Whether it is people who read my writing or it is other writers, I seem to make new friends on a regular basis.  As a stay-at-home mom of five (expecting number six in the fall) sometimes it can be tricky making new friends out there in the real world.  Even as an adult, I see "cliques" amongst the other mothers at school and outings and as one who never truly "fit in", it can be a bit frustrating.  But, online, in the writing world, I can easily connect with complete strangers on a whole different level.  We may chat about books and then we start to share our writing with one another and then before you know it, you've found a wonderful & supportive friend.

In the past year, I've made three wonderful friends all because of taking a chance on becoming a writer.  I am in New Jersey and these ladies are in Australia, England and Mexico.  With the internet as it is, it really brings the world to your fingertips.  Being a writer, I have found that there is so much more to explore and so many people out there willing to go with me.  And, I've been blessed that with everyone I have met, it's a true friendship...give and take.  I help them and they help me.  We support one another and encourage each other.

To me, being a writer has been an amazing experience.  I struggle, as anyone does, but I have wonderful people to help me up, brush me off and then tell me to get my a** in gear and get back to doing my thing.  I love it and I am grateful for my new career AND my new friends.  <3

~J~


No comments:

Post a Comment